Friday, October 19, 2007
Attended my niece's school program today. United Nations as the theme. It was okay, and my niece was really pretty.
I was okay during the program and all, but got really annoyed with my mother when everything was over. She was talking to some of the students' parents while I was taking pictures of my niece and her classmates. I heard someone ask my parents what school I am attending and she proudly answered that I am going in UP. Follow-up question of course was what course I am taking. And ged, she answered that I am taking Economics! I wasn't bitter because I am frustrated about getting in that degree program or anything because I already love Sociology and discovered the flaws of the BS Economics program. But what really annoyed me was that she said it with flourish as if she really knew it as a fact. Annoying, right? She is fully aware that my course is Sociology and I have no more plans of shifting out. But she still insisted on what she wanted me to be. She wants me to take a big-income-generating degree program though she doesn't tell me that. Okay, I am fine with that hope of hers because it is her prerogative to wish whatever she wants for her child. But please, if in that moment last morning that she forgot what course I am taking, she could have asked me, right? She shouldn't have assumed she knew when she didn't. And if she lied on purpose, I saw it as an insult, I'm sorry. She made me feel that she doesn't approve of my decision and that she is ashamed that I am taking a not-so-famous course. Wateber, I said. This will pass.
Thursday, November 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment