Sunday, May 27, 2007

Flowers of May

I saw the Santacruzan this morning. And it was rather a lonely bunch of girls and boys in gowns and suits. It was different this year than the previous celebrations, and I couldn't quite figure out why.

I never became one of those queens. Other kids of my age (and also those who are not) are really dying to dress up, wear crowns, and parade around our town. And I have always preferred to stay in the audience, watching them sweat and complain about their aching feet.

It was really awkward to watch the procession this morning. I didn't know almost half of the people there. Some of the usual (prettier) queens were nowhere in sight, to be replaced by others whom I think are not from our town. It was quite funny that the spectators couldn't wave at them because they didn't know them. And those strangers didn't even bother to smile at the people. Who are they, anyway?

I extend my congratulations to those Sagalas because the sky have remained kind to them and made the sun shone. But still, the heat was reaching extreme levels that some of the little kids who were in the parade didn't make it to the end. They went home in tantrums in the middle of it all, carried by their mothers. They would've been so cute, if it wasn't for their pouting lips and pale faces.

Reserve the glory for the popular girls (of my age) who were extremely congenial during the procession. In spite of the heat and pain that they were suffering from, they continued to smile and remained calm as if there wasn't anything more fun than walking that moment. I admired their gowns, anyway. The colors were awesome and the styles were great.

Let them do the glory and the pain in parading their beauties. I still prefer to watch them in my shirt, pants and chucks, than to join them. Not that I'm bitter or envious; in fact, I was thrilled to watch them. They were a very colorful bunch! But I wouldn't be able to last the parade if I was in their place. With my flat feet that make me trip even in smooth surfaces, I'd rather walk barefoot than to be in inches high heels.

Well, the Santacruzan was over. We'll have to wait another year to watch another batch of it. I wonder who would be the next Reyna Elena. Sana artista! Haha! :)

No comments: