I had a public speech for my Communications 3 class yesterday. And it was, oh well, different.
About a week ago, our professor defined a dress code for our speeches. Yes, a dress code. Sucks, right? Oh well, the guys were required to wear polo shirts + slacks + dark-colored socks + leather shoes. And we girls had to wear blouses + skirts + pumps. And I had an unbelieving expression plastered on my face. Skirt? Shucks. I haven't worn any skirt after my high school days are over. And pumps? Oh heavens, help me please. I trip when I'm in my Chucks, so what would I expect when I am in pumps? Shucks. And I started panicking.
Well,thanks to my cousin and my roommates. They helped me chose an outfit that wouldn't be too difficult to handle.
I knew I looked well, but the thought itself wasn't too comforting. I am flat-footed, and I am just so lampa. I don't wear skirts because my legs aren't too flattering, plus I don't know how to walk properly. So I had constantly wished for March 19 to just vanish away, which was of course, a wish in vain.
So I changed into my outfit: purple Chinese-inspired blouse + flowery violet and pink skirt + brown pumps. I didn't want to admit it, but I wished that he could see me. Stupid me, our conflicting schedules wouldn't allow us, I knew that. But there was a part of me that still wanted to impress him, so that he would take a second look at me and bam! Just like that, he's in love with me. Yeah right, I was just such a doofus to wish such. But still, I knew that I wanted him to notice me even for the last time since this semester is ending.
And yes, I was in vain. I didn't see him.
So I proceeded to our classroom, careful not to trip (my pumps were just slippery though the floor was dry).
So blah blah blah, I entered our classroom to find several others in the same state as I was, embarrassed and nervous.
I was the eighth to deliver my speech. And my topic was about graduation. It served a double-purpose because I needed a speech for the graduation at my high school. Yeah, I was that pathetic and lazy to compose another speech.
Since there was 5 of us on stage then because we were called by group, I was conscious how to sit or move or just to breathe. I felt like all eyes were on me and that people were observing everything that I was doing. I was just so nervous and giddy. Whew.
I delivered my speech. Done. I was rather emotional then because of nostalgia. I couldn't help it. I missed high school. Ok, I wouldn't start blabbering about my sadness, coz that wouldn't be parallel to my blog's purpose. (yuck, I'm Comm3-ying with all of those purposes).
My groupmates were laughing at my outfit. The kind of jokes that embarrass you and not the way that would make you pikon. Kuya Jhune even joked that I was "nagdadalaga na". Hahaha. Maybe because I was always in a laid-back, unglamorous outfit that it was really new to them to see me wearing such.
So I earned a grade of I-don't-know-what, jokes, and affirmation (thank you, and if you may, a bit of admiration from some of my classmates). I rather enjoyed the speech. I enjoyed my outfit no matter how awkward I felt. I enjoyed listening and watching my classmates.
I knew the experience would be hard to forget. That's for sure. But what I'm surer is that I'm glad to be back in my t-shirt, pants and my beloved Chucks.
Tuesday, March 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
nakita kita. nakita kita. :D
Post a Comment